Sermon Series: “The Seven Last Words of Christ”
During Lent, Pastor Drew will be preaching a 6-part sermon series based on the seven last words of Christ, a reference to the final utterances of Jesus from the cross as recorded by the Gospel writers. It is particularly important to listen to these “words” during Lent because Jesus calls on us to go on the same journey that led him to Golgotha. According to Mark, he made that call graphically, painfully, explicit: “If any want to become my followers let them…take up their cross and follow me” (Mark 8:34). This call was put to lyrics in the hymn, “Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone”:
Must Jesus bear the cross alone,
and all the world go free?
No, there’s a cross for everyone,
and there’s a cross for me.
Author Susan Robb writes, “Christ’s words become, for us, not merely dying words but words that show us how to live. They point the way as we seek to carry out the mission that we undertake when we comit to follow him and ‘Lift high the cross, the love of Christ proclaim / till all the world adore his sacred name.'”
Lent Sermon Calendar
- February 26 – “Father, Forgive Them” (Luke 23:32-34)
- March 5 – “Today You Will Be with Me in Paradise” (Luke 23:42-43)
- March 12 – “My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?” (Mark 15:33-34)
- March 19 – “Woman, Here Is Your Son” (John 19:25b-27)
- March 26 – “I Am Thirsty” (John 19:28-29)
- April 2 [Palm/Passion Sunday] –
- “Into Your Hands I Commend My Spirit” (Luke 23:44-46)
- “It is Finished” (John 19:30)