Welcome & Announcements
Prelude – “When There’s Love At Home” – Arr. by Roger C. Wilson
Call to Worship – (based on Matthew 4:19, Mark 1:16-20, Luke 5:1-11)
- L: The invitation is given to every person by Jesus Christ: “Come to me! Follow me! Be my disciples!”
- P: We come to this place, to this time, at the invitation of Jesus Christ.
- L: In the name of Christ,
- P: we accept the invitation to discipleship.
- L: In the name of Christ,
- P: as his disciples, we worship and praise God.
- L: In the midst of a world where cruelty abounds,
- P: we proclaim the God of Compassion.
- L: In the midst of despair that threatens to swallow up whole lives, whole peoples,
- P: we proclaim the God of Hope.
- L: In the midst of indifference and apathy,
- P: we proclaim the God of Love.
- L: Come, let us worship together and share our witness of God’s living presence in the world.
*Hymn – “How Shall I Come Before the Lord” – W&S #3124
- How shall I come before the Lord,
and bow myself with heart outpoured?
And shall I come with offering?
What shall I give? What shall I bring?
- Will finest gifts bring God’s delight?
Will wealth bring favor in God’s sight?
What must we be? What must we do?
What does the Lord require of you?
- Let justice shine in all your ways.
Let loving kindness rule your days,
that, as this earthly path you trod,
you shall walk humbly with your God.
Time with Children and Youth
Special Music – “Meditation on ‘Beautiful Savior’” – Arr. by Cathy Moklebust
Scripture Reading – Matthew 24:44-51
44Therefore, you also should be prepared, because the Human One will come at a time you don’t know.
45“Who then are the faithful and wise servants whom their master puts in charge of giving food at the right time to those who live in his house? 46Happy are those servants whom the master finds fulfilling their responsibilities when he comes. 47I assure you that he will put them in charge of all his possessions. 48But suppose those bad servants should say to themselves, My master won’t come until later. 49And suppose they began to beat their fellow servants and to eat and drink with the drunks? 50The master of those servants will come on a day when they are not expecting him, at a time they couldn’t predict. 51He will cut them in pieces and put them in a place with the hypocrites. People there will be weeping and grinding their teeth.
- L: The Word of God, the Word of Life.
- P: Thanks be to God!
Sermon – “A Life of Discipleship”
Hymn – “Whatever You Do” – W&S #3128
- “Whatever you do to the least ones of these,
I tell you in truth that you do unto me!”
Lord Jesus, you taught us! May we learn anew
That when we serve others, we also serve you.
- When poor, waiting children pray hunger will end,
When those long-forgotten cry out for a friend,
When thirsty ones whisper, “O Lord, where are you?” —
We hear, in their longing, that you’re calling, too.
- In prisons and jails, Lord, we find a surprise;
We see you in people whom others despise.
At hospital bedsides we offer a prayer
And find, when we visit the sick, you are there.
- When we reach to others in flood-stricken lands
And offer our hearts there, and offer our hands —
We notice, Lord Jesus, the gift of your grace:
We see, in the crowds of the suffering, your face.
- “Lord, when did we see you?” Your teaching is clear
That when we serve others, we’re serving you here.
And when your church heeds you and helps those in pain,
Then out of the chaos, hope rises again.
Pastoral Prayer and Lord’s Prayer
Anthem – “Peace Be With You” – By Mary McDonald
Invitation to Give
Prayer of Dedication
*Closing Hymn – “Let There Be Peace on Earth” – UMH #431
Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me;
let there be peace on earth, the peace that was meant to be.
With God our creator, children all are we.
Let us walk with each other in perfect harmony.
Let peace begin with me, let this be the moment now.
With every step I take, may this be my solemn vow:
To take each moment and live each moment in peace eternally.
Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me.
*Postlude – “Let There Be Peace on Earth”
Lyrics to Special Music
Peace Be with You
Peace be with you; my peace I give unto you. Not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled and do not be afraid, I am with you. I am with you. Peace be with you; my peace I give unto you. I am the truth, the life; no one comes to the Father but by me. I am going to the Father to prepare you a place with me. If you love me; if you love me. Peace be with you; my peace I give unto you. Peace be with you; my peace I give unto you. Not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled and do not be afraid, I am with you. I am with you. Peace be with you; my peace I give unto you. My peace, I give unto you.
Helping Lead Today’s Worship
- Pastor: Rev. Drew Hart
- Liturgist: Lee Vander Esch
- Choir Director: Steve Grattan
- Organist: Kathy Cay
- Bells of Praise
- Audio Tech: Bruce Hurd
- Streaming Tech: Brian Miller
- Computer Tech: Ellen Hoover
Thanks for sponsoring the radio today:
In memory of Floyd Ogden on his birthday (May 17) from John and Dale Ann Ogden
Thanks for sponsoring the flowers today:
In honor of all mothers from Jack and Betty Rowley