We are working through a summer sermon series entitled, “The Kingdom of God is Like…” Worship themes will be based on the various Kingdom parables told by Jesus. Today’s Kingdom parables are found in Matthew 13 and are known as The Buried Treasure and The Fine Pearls.
Welcome & Announcements
Prelude – “Jesus Is All the World to Me” – Arr. by Robert J. Hughes
*Call to Worship
- L: Happy are those who walk in the way of the Lord.
- P: Happy are those who seek the Lord with their whole heart.
- L: May we learn to treasure God’s Word in our hearts,
- P: and seek to live the truths of God in our lives.
- L: People of God, in what is our deepest joy and greatest satisfaction?
- P: In Jesus Christ!
*Hymn – “I Love Thy Kingdom, Lord” – UMH #540
- I love thy kingdom, Lord, the house of thine abode,
the church our blest Redeemer saved with his own precious blood.
- I love thy church, O God! Her walls before thee stand
dear as the apple of thine eye, and graven on thy hand.
- For her my tears shall fall, for her my prayers ascend,
to her my cares and toils be given, till toils and cares shall end.
- Beyond my highest joy I prize her heavenly ways,
her sweet communion, solemn vows, her hymns of love and praise.
- Sure as thy truth shall last, to Zion shall be given
the brightest glories earth can yield, and brighter bliss of heaven.
Time with the Children and Youth
Scripture Reading – Matthew 13:44-46
44“The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure that somebody hid in a field, which someone else found and covered up. Full of joy, the finder sold everything and bought that field.
45“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls. 46When he found one very precious pearl, he went and sold all that he owned and bought it.
- L: The Word of God, the Word of Life.
- P: Thanks be to God!
Special Music – “Nocturne Op. 9, No. 2” – Chopin
Pastoral Prayer and Lord’s Prayer
*Song – “More Precious Than Silver” – FWS #2065
Lord, You are more precious than silver;
Lord, You are more costly than gold.
Lord, You are more beautiful than diamonds,
And nothing I desire compares with You.
Special Music – “Jesus Loves Me” – Bradbury/DeBussy
Invitation to Give
*Prayer of Dedication
Sacrament of Holy Communion
*Closing Hymn – “For the Beauty of the Earth” – UMH #92
Refrain: Lord of all, to thee we raise
this our hymn of grateful praise.
- For the beauty of the earth, for the glory of the skies,
for the love which from our birth over and around us lies; (Refrain)
- For the beauty of each hour of the day and of the night,
hill and vale, and tree and flower, sun and moon, and stars of light; (Refrain)
- For the joy of ear and eye, for the heart and mind’s delight,
for the mystic harmony linking sense to sound and sight; (Refrain)
- For the joy of human love, brother, sister, parent, child,
friends on earth and friends above, for all gentle thoughts and mild; (Refrain)
- For thy church, that evermore lifteth holy hands above,
offering up on every shore her pure sacrifice of love; (Refrain)
- For thyself, best Gift Divine, to the world so freely given,
for that great, great love of thine, peace on earth, and joy in heaven: (Refrain)
Helping Lead Today’s Worship
- Pastor: Rev. Drew Hart
- Liturgist: Kathy Ekelund
- Choir Director: Steve Grattan
- Organist: Kathy Cay
- Piano: Brian Winters
- Audio Tech: Ellen Hoover
- Streaming Tech: Brian Miller
- Computer Tech: Joe Kaidan
Thanks for sponsoring the radio, audio, and video today:
In honor of Matthew Fetterly’s 21st birthday
From Joe and Liz Fetterly